Youth Leadership Training
The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what a leader must KNOW and what a leader must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO.
NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. If you are a leader in your unit (senior patrol leader, assistant senior patrol leader, patrol leader, crew president or ship boatswain) or are looking to serve in one of these positions, then NYLT is for you!
This year’s course is being offered over the weekends of September 8 – 10 and September 29 – October 1, 2023 at Camp Durant.
Objectives of NYLT
- Develop confidence and knowledge to conduct unit programming
- Understand the stages of team development
- Find personal vision and set SMART goals
- Provide opportunities to share ideas and experiences with others
- Experience conflict resolution and learn ethical decision-making skills
Requirements to Participate in NYLT
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B and C
- For members of a Troop:
- Must be at least 13 years old and 1st Class
- Must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops
- For members of a Crew or Ship:
- Must be at least 14 years old (or 13 and have completed 8th grade)
- Must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships
- Must have a unit leader recommendation
First weekend – Arrive by 4:00 pm on Friday, depart 6:00 pm on Sunday
Second weekend – Arrive by 4:30 pm on Friday, depart 3:30 pm on Sunday
COST: $265 – Covers cost of all meals, t-shirts, hat, notebook, etc.
NOTE: A down payment is required at registration. Full fee is due by August 7th. Registrations will be accepted after this date, but the full registration fee is required.
LOCATION — Camp Durant, 4637 Old Carthage Rd, Carthage, NC 28327
Contact Penny Schulken, Course Director, at [email protected].