Find Your Path in Scouting
Cub Scout Advancement
Cub Scouts make their way through the Scouting program by earning rank badges that are specific to their grades in school. As they complete their grade in school, they also complete certain program activities in order to qualify for advancement to the next rank. Click below to learn more about the Cub Scout Advancement Trail and requirements for each rank badge.
Scouts BSA Advancement
Recommended Merit Badge Process
- The Scout develops an interest in a merit badge and may begin working on the requirements.
- The Scout discusses interest in the merit badge with their unit leader.
- The unit leader signs a blue card and provides the Scout with at least one counselor contact.
- The Scout contacts the counselor.
- The counselor considers any work toward requirements completed prior to the initial discussion with the unit leader.
- The Scout, their buddy and the counselor meet (often several times).
- The Scout finishes the requirements.
- The counselor approves completion.
- The Scout returns the signed blue card to their unit leader who signs the applicant record section of the blue card.
- The unit leader gives the Scout the applicant record.
- The unit reports the merit badge to the Council.
- The Scout receives his merit badge.
Merit Badge Counselors
Merit Badge Counselor renewals are open for 2021-2022. Use the form below for renewals and new applications. Existing counselors should select the box in the upper right hand corner to indicate they want to keep their exact list of current badges for another year.
- Link to National BSA Resources, Including Guide to Advancement
- Merit Badge Counselor Badge Selection Form – 11-1-21
- Merit Badge Counselor Policy – 9-2-20
- Merit Badge Counselors as of 10/17/21 (Key 3 or their designees only)
- Occoneechee Council Citizenship in Society Merit Badge Counselor Information
Some documents are password protected. Please contact your district’s advancement chair if you need assistance with these files.