Youth Protection And Why
- On-Line Courses — All on-line courses are provided by BSA’s National Headquarters via their Online Learning Center or OLC, which is a public access web site.
- Video Disc — All video discs are maintained in a library at the Council office or at the District level. Registered adult volunteers can make arrangements to borrow these video discs.
- Classroom — Other courses are taught in a classroom setting (either indoors or outdoors depending on the topic). The courses offered by this Council are scheduled and advertised on the Council Training Calendar.
The following table lists the youth courses available at each level of the Scouting program. Please refer to our Course Descriptions page for more information on a course.
|In the Cub Scout program, the following youth leader courses are available:
|In the Boy Scout program, the following youth leader courses are available:
|In the Venturing program, the following youth leader courses are available:
Once a youth has completed the basic training, there are on-going opportunites to obtain additional or continuing education. These include:
- The monthly District Roundtable meetings
- Council courses offered at special events such as Council Camporee
- Courses offered at summer camps
- The Philmont Scout Ranch Training Center
- To search for upcoming Council training courses, visit our Council calendar.
- To find on-line training offerings, visit the BSA Online Learning Center
For more information about Youth Leader Training, first talk with your unit leader (Cubmaster, Scoutmaster or Advisor) or your unit’s training coordinator, if the unit has one. Our Council is geographically divided into areas (a North and South) and districts. Each area has a Training Coordinator. Each District Committee has a Training Committee Chairperson who can also help you understand the best way to go about being trained. The Council web site provides a list of Volunteer Support and Training Services Committee contacts, as well as, a list of the Area Training Coordinators and District Training Chairpersons.