As of June 6, 2017, online member registration for new Scouts to join Scout units in the Occoneechee Council is available.
Parents are able to complete an online application for their child to join a Scout unit. They are able to pay the national membership fee using a credit card during the application process. Once the application is accepted by a member of the unit key 3 and the payment is processed, the Scout will be a member of a local unit and the BSA.
Benefits of the new system include:
- Support for today’s young families who are used to doing everything online
- A system to manage recruitment
- Built-in membership validation
- Digital signatures accepted
- Credit cards accepted for online payment
- Regular status notifications sent to unit key 3
- Dashboards on My.Scouting.org to view application and lead status
- The option to register new Scouts using a 100% paper-free process (some restrictions apply)
Preparing for deployment
To prepare your unit for a successful deployment of this new system, please:
- Verify that you have the correct names and contact information recorded in the BSA’s official records (e.g. My.Scouting.org) for the following key positions in your unit:
- Executive Officer (a.k.a. Institution Head)
- Chartered Organization Representative
- Committee Chair
- Unit Leader (Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Advisor, Coach, Skipper)
- Make sure that each of the people in the positions listed above can login to their My.Scouting.org account and that they have the correct BSA ID number linked to their account (Menu -> Legacy Web Tools -> Manage Member ID)
- Verify that the correct information for your unit is listed on BeAScout.org Unit key 3 members can update this information by logging in to their My.Scouting.org account and going to Menu -> Legacy Web Tools -> BeAScout
Instructions for use
This presentation has more detailed information about the system and is primarily intended for unit leadership, although much of the content is also relevant to district and council leaders. It includes screen shots of what new applicants will see, as well as screen shots for members of the unit key 3 who will need to approve an application. It also includes both the Occoneechee and national contacts for additional support.
Check out our in-depth webinar about registration by following this link here.
This presentation is designed for district leaders who need to monitor the status of leads and applications in their districts.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How is the online application accessed?
Families looking for a Scouting home can find your unit on the BeAScout website, send your unit an inquiry for more information or apply directly if your unit enables this feature. Your unit can also pass out a direct link to the unit’s online application by using a URL or QR code provided in the Online Registration Invitation Manager tool in My.Scouting.
- How does the unit accept new applicant in this system?
When a family fills out an online application, it is routed to the unit’s Application Manager dashboard. From there, any member of the unit Key 3 – the top unit leader, the committee chair, or the chartered organization representative – can approve a youth application. All fields on the paper application are in the digital application. Approval is just a press of the button by one of the Key 3, and if the new member paid by credit card, their information goes directly to your unit roster. If paid by cash or check, they will bring their online receipt and money to the unit and the unit will turn the receipt and money to the council in just like you do with paper applications today. Once the council has marked the member as paid, they will show in your unit roster.
- Who is able to register online?
The system is designed to register youth (under 18) who are new to Scouting. Transfers from one unit to another cannot currently be done using this system. Adult applications are not currently accepted. Future system updates will address these limitations.
- Does the paper membership application process go away?
No. Paper applications are still available.
- Can applications for online registration be made using mobile devices (e.g. tablets or smart phones)?
- What payment methods are accepted to pay for an individual’s membership online?
Credit and debit cards are accepted online. Other payment methods, such as cash, checks, and unit accounts can be used for offline payments.
- What can be paid for with online payment?
The national membership fee $33/year and Boys’ Life subscription fee ($12/year) can be paid online. The actual amount an applicant is charged will be prorated based upon how many months are left until your unit recharters. Unit dues cannot be collected online, although the system will notify applicants that an additional payment directly to the unit may be necessary.
- Is a parent/guardian signature required for online membership registration?
No. The parent/guardian’s digital signature replaces the need for a physical signature on paper.
- Is the signature of a unit leader required to approve/accept an online membership registration?
A physical signature is not required; however, a member of the unit key 3 must approve every youth application before it is accepted. This approval in My.Scouting is considered a digital signature.
- Who can approve a youth application?
The unit leader (Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Crew Advisor, or Skipper), unit Committee Chair, and the Chartered Organization Representative all have approval authority for youth applications in their units.
- Will the system notify people who have actions to complete in either Invitation Manager or Application Manager?
Yes. When someone who has actions to complete logs in to My.Scouting.org, an number will appear by the bell icon indicating the number of messages in that person’s inbox. Email reminders are also sent twice a week to anyone who has actions to complete. The email address used for these reminders is the person’s primary email address as listed in the BSA member registration database and visible in My.Scouting.org.
- Are there deadlines in the invitation manager and application manager systems?
Yes. Invitations and requests for information from BeAScout that appear in the Invitation Manager require a response within 5 days. Membership applications require action within 8 days. If a unit does not meet these deadlines, then the application or request for information will be automatically transferred to the appropriate district for action. For online member applications, the entire process, including payment processing, must be completed within 60 days of the initial application. While the 5 and 8 day timers will be reset when an application is transferred from one unit to another, the 60 day timer does not reset.
- Is online member registration available in languages other than English?
- Where can I find out more about this system?
Visit the BSA National Online Registration site. Note: Some information on this site may not apply to Occoneechee.
- Who should I contact with questions?